This post was guest blogged by John Cow, who is trying to win the award for Best Blog Name of 2007. I’ll vote for that.
Who would have thought six months ago that we would have over 1000 RSS subscribers, a Technorati ranking of 1,230 and an Alexa ranking of 13,639 (US only: 4,664!) We sure didn’t!
One of the funny things we’ve noticed is that people along the way have started talking in a different tone to us. We began to receive emails which made us feel a bit uneasy – some people put us on a pedestal, something we’re not used to.
We used to be ‘one of the guys’ and now we’ve got people looking up to us all over sudden! Obviously we’re not complaining since we’re attention wh*res as you all know 😈 but it has made us more reserved in communicating with others. We don’t want to be treated differently and we certainly don’t want to be addressed to as sir. We’re just another blogger, like most of you. We got lucky in a way and we’ll have to deal with everything that comes with the spotlights. The good and the bad.
Here’s something to think about when you’re dealing with an ‘Internet Celeb’. (Oh we’re so full of ourselves 😎 )
- 1) We’re all just people with a blog. Don’t treat us like rockstars or behave like groupies. You’re selling yourself short if you do. And if you seem to underestimate yourself, why would we think different? We’ve got the same wordpress admin panel as you!
2) Keep in mind that because we’re in the spotlights, we probably do receive a lot of emails. If there’s something you want, just ask for it in a few lines. Don’t beat around the bush – long emails won’t get read unless you’ve managed to capture our attention in the first few lines. This is because of time management – not snobism!
3) Don’t overdo it. Some people just keep mailing and mailing and mailing. At a certain point we’ll get fed up with it. Wouldn’t you? We don’t have all the answers either and we use Google, just like you.
4) Its fine if you appreciate our blogs, we love to have you around as a reader and participant in the comments. Just don’t act like you’re worshipping us. It makes us feel a bit uneasy at times and we’d rather avoid that all together. It’s like the funny kid back in school who had a crush on you – bet you tried to avoid them too! Just act normal and be yourself. See point 1 again.
5) Appreciate the fact that you’re not the only one that tries to build some sort of relationship with the blogger. The more known a blog is, the more people will try to do the same. And unfortunately we just can’t all be friends. Its a fact of life. There’s people you like and get along with, and then there’s the others.
Don’t take this post the wrong way, we love who we are and what we’ve accomplished and we hope to continue to grow like we did in the past six months, but its a learning curve for us too. Mistakes will be made and admitted, but we’re absolutely enjoying the ride! Thanks for making us what we are today, we totally appreciate it!
By the way, we’ve been nominated as Best Blog Name of 2007 by Performancing, and we need your help to win this. We’re up against a few huge blogs with over 42,000 subscribers! Please vote for us and leave a comment that you did. We are giving away a few nifty random prizes to the voters – some cool WordPress hoodies, T-shirts and a bunch of EntreCard credits!