Did you know that 45 million Americans download podcasts at least once a month? What are these amazing audio superstars? Podcasts are audio files that are created for Apple products like iPods, iPhones and iPads. They can be downloaded and added to playlists. There are stories, music, news, education, instruction and other types of podcasts.
Podcasts are very convenient to use. They can be played in cars, at the gym, on the airplane. They can be listened to without an internet connection, but you do need an internet connection to download the files. They are similar to MP3 files, except they can be stored in a channel, complete with graphics, regular release dates and more. When someone subscribes to your channel, they get your updates automatically. Podcasts can be free or for sale.
Download the iTunes application on your computer or mobile device. You can search through hundreds of thousands of subjects and see how other people use podcasts to communicate, broadcast, educate and entertain. Podcasts are very popular and not going away anytime soon.
Why you should use podcasts to market.
1. Podcasts are easy to create. You put together an audio file, add some edits like intros or music and you can upload your file.
2. You can get creative with the types of audio files you can use. You can monologues, interviews, musical presentations, news reports or read your written content for people who prefer to consume audio content. You can even create video content.
3. You can even transcribe your podcasts into written content for people who like to read.
How to use podcasts to market.
In some ways, marketing podcasts is similar to other types of content marketing. Create a great title, share it on your blog, website and social media networks, email it to your list and put it on your business cards.
Some tips to keep and increase your subscribers:
- Put planning and care into each broadcast. Create a mission or a vision for your channel and stick to it.
- Broadcast about something that you are knowledgeable and passionate about. This will keep the fire going long after the first 50 episodes.
- Use positive, empowering language and concepts. Complaining about things will bring you and your audience down.
- Thank people for listening, at the beginning and at the end of the podcast.
- Mix up the content. If you use interviews, try monologues. Use guest speakers.
- Talk to and about your audience. Discuss the emails or suggestions that you get from your audience.
- Team up with other broadcasters in the same or complementing industries.
Podcasts offer a lot of value to both consumers and business people. They are great for bloggers, marketers, educators, entertainers and anyone with interesting, dynamic content to share. You do not need an Apple product to download podcasts, which opens up your subscriber base to PC and Android users. If you want to do something great with your marketing, look into Podcasting. Podcasting can open doors not available in other types of Internet marketing.