Today’s Performance Marketing Expo kicked off with a keynote by Dan Siroker. He’s the former director of analytics for the the Obama presidential campaign. However, the highlight session was the Super Affiliate Experts panel with Zac Johnson, Eddie Alberty, Matthew Cheng and moderator Greg Byrnes.
The Super Affiliate Experts panel offers tips and tricks from the country’s top earning super affiliates. They gave some really good tips that anyone can use today to help them make more money online. Some of the takeaways I got from the session include:
- Communication with affiliate managers and optimization are best practice keys.
- Target campaigns with your readers in mind.
- Targeting is important but so is timing.
- Always be testing. Zac will use as many as 20 landing pages for one campaign in order to find the highest converting page.
- Understand your customer and what his needs are
- Never under estimate the power of an incentive offer (MarketAmerica Cashback)
- If your offers are converting well, ask for a higher commission or revenue share.
- The best way to build a relationship with an affiliate network is face to face at a conference and instant messenger with the affiliate manager.
- Working with an affiliate network is better than working directly with an advertiser
- Affiliate networks should send gifts to the affiliates they’re trying to get into their network. Email blast offering “highest payout” and “best network” rarely get any action.
- Q4 is the best time of the year to be an affiliate marketer (think holiday sales).
- Thanksgiving weekend remains key to kick off the holiday shopping season (Black Friday).
Look for more coverage of the Performance Marketing Expo later. There are ten sessions after the Super Affiliate Experts panel. I’ll have to pick and choose which ones I want to cover. My session, “Making Money Making Friends” starts tomorrow at 11:45AM.