We are a week into the new year, and that means it’s time to evaluate that ‘New Years’ Resolutions. In my opinion, new year is one of the few times throughout the year where people believe that they can be a Hero. That they can become a better version of themselves.
The problem is we don’t really feel that we indeed are a Hero, and so our confused brains quickly make us stray back to our ordinary, unfulfilled selves. Our goals go something like this:
- Day 1: Yay! I’m gonna lose weight, get in shape, and quit my job!
- Day 7: Erm… I’m gonna stick with this! But there sure are a lot of distractions in my way.
- Day 18: OK! Next week I’m gonna get back on track! No more mucking around here!
- Day 31: You know what!? My life wasn’t so bad after all. Why go against the grain when I can just get by like everybody else… I’ll accept that truth until next year around this same time.
Now your journey, your path to improve your life may sound a little bit different, but it’s super important to BELIEVE that
you CAN change your life for the better. That’s the first step to real lasting change.
Path To Real Lasting Change
Famous author Joseph Campbell speaks of The Hero’s Journey, and that almost every success in culture, the movies, and in our own lives follows this same type of journey to get to where they are.
The sad part is that most people stay stuck at the first stage of the Hero’s Journey: the Ordinary World.
And in the ordinary world, it’s boring, it’s mundane, and it’s the sharp contrast to where the Hero eventually winds up. The ordinary, boring world is…
- Luke’s farm in Star Wars.
- It’s Dorothy’s farm in The Wizard of Oz.
- It’s Clark Kent’s farm in Superman.
- It’s Frodo’s shire in Lord of the Rings.
If you live in a farm, it seems you’re bound for greatness! However, for us, the ordinary world is…
- It’s our desk.
- It’s checking our emails.
- It’s our j-o-b.
- It’s our couch.
- It’s the food we eat that makes us feel like crap.
- It’s our friends and family that wants us to remain ‘comfortable’.
Most people just accept this as their way of life. They swallow their current reality as the only one that’s possible for them. It’s normal. Most will ALWAYS do this.
It’s doesn’t have to be that way for you. Wherever you are right now is your starting point. Your own Hero’s Journey. Your shire. It’s your own ‘Ordinary World’ even as chaotic as it may be. But if you’re reading this blog post right now, it means you WANT to change. You want better. Congrats! You’re a step further ahead than most!
What You Need To Start Your Hero’s Journey
Spend some real time charting out your Hero’s Journey for 2014. Exactly what you want, things you want to change, and chunk down exactly HOW you can do it with little bite-sized steps. And then do this…
Accept no option but to accept the journey and start down it’s path. Get committed 110%. Downright have a ‘Insatiable Craving’ to change your life and get it done. Expect setbacks and challenges as all true hero’s have. Deal with them and don’t give up even when you feel like it. You’ll always come through the other side stronger and a better human being.
Learn what your Kryptonite is. Maybe it’s buying products, checking emails non-stop… whatever it is, identify your Kryptonite and avoid it like the plague. And know this…
I Believe In You
I know you’ve got it in you. And I know that this year can be YOUR YEAR if you accept the challenge. Here’s to you becoming a Hero in 2014 and beyond. There’s no turning back now. Start your journey.